By Lisa Fischer
Adapted from www.themediterraneandish.com
Yield: 20 to 24 skewers 2x
For Souvlaki Marinade:
- 20 garlic cloves, peeled
- 4 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 2 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 2 teaspoon each Kosher salt and black pepper
- 1/2 cup Greek extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 4 bay leaves
- 5 lb. boneless skinless chicken breast, fat removed, cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces.
Greek pita bread
Tzatziki Sauce (make your own. Google it and find a recipe that’s easy for you).
Sliced tomato, cucumber, onions and Kalamata olives
1. Prepare the marinade. In the bowl of a small food processor, add garlic, oregano, rosemary, paprika, salt, pepper, olive oil, white wine, and lemon juice (do NOT add the dried bay leaves yet). Pulse until well combined.
2. Place chicken in a large bowl and add bay leaves. Top with marinade. Toss to combine, making sure chicken is well-coated with marinade. cover tightly and refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight. Soak 10 to 12 wooden skewers in water for 30 to 45 minutes or so. When ready, thread marinated chicken pieces through the prepared skewers.
3. Prepare an outdoor grill (or griddle). Brush grates with a little oil and heat over medium-high heat. Place chicken skewers on grill (or cook in batches on griddle) until well browned and internal temperature registers 155 degrees on an instant-read thermometer. Be sure to turn skewers evenly to cook on all sides, about 5 minutes total. (Adjust temperature of grill if necessary). While grilling, brush lightly with the marinade (then discard any left marinade).
Transfer chicken to serving platter and let rest for 3 minutes. Meanwhile, briefly grill pitas and keep warm.
4. Assemble grilled chicken souvlaki pitas. First, spread Tzatziki sauce on pita, add chicken pieces (take them off skewers first, of course) then add veggies and olives.