Not just every city holds its own bathtub race. But then again, not every place is like Hot Springs.
Every year, the city hosts the Stueart Pennington World Championship Running Of The Tubs, in which teams face off, racing bathtubs. It’s a wild sight and definitely worth the trip.
This year, the race will be held Saturday, July 11, starting at 9 a.m., on Central Avenue along Bathhouse Row, in Hot Springs. Originally, the races were set for May 30 but were pushed back as a result of COVID-19.
“Hot Springs will begin welcoming visitors to the city with the cleanest events in the state — bathtubs,” said Bill Solleder, marketing director for Visit Hot Springs and coordinator of the races.
There will be multiple divisions in the Stueart Pennington World Championship Running Of The Tubs. These divisions include the Traditional Tubs Division, the Modified Tubs Division and a Stock Tubs division, which is designed for participants lacking the resources to put together an entry.
In addition, there will be categories for Best Overall Tub, Most Spirited, and Most Original Tub.
The 2019 world title champions – who are expected to defend their titles – are:
- Hot Springs Police Department — Battle of the Badge
- Bathhouse Soapery — Traditional Division
- The Austin (Texas) Weirdos — Modified Division
- Trail Advocacy Coalition of Arkansas — Stock Tub Division
- Window Mart — Best Overall Tub
- Arlington Hotel / Hale Entertainment — Most Spirited (tie)
- Treasure Isle RV Park — Most Original Tub
Applications are being accepted now and can be obtained by contacting Solleder at email@example.com.