Don’t you love the smell of the holidays? You can do that yourself by simmering some ingredients you might have in your cupboard.
And you can get really Pinteresting and make this for gifts. I have this on the stove starting the day after Thanksgiving every year.
But remember: CHECK THE WATER. It will burn rather quickly and then you’ll hate cinnamon and cloves the rest of your life.
Recipe adapted and photos from www.picky-palate.com.
- 2 cinnamon sticks or 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon whole cloves or 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 vanilla bean or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 orange peel quartered
- 1 whole nutmeg or 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cups water
- Place water into a small saucepan. Add cinnamon sticks, cloves, vanilla bean, nutmeg and orange peels. You can add some cranberries, too. This makes it more beautiful and fragrant. Turn heat to medium until water starts to boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer as long as desired.
- Check water level every 1/2 hour that you have simmering. Water needs to be added as needed. Do not let water evaporate. Use potpourri for 2 days (adding additional water as necessary) then discard and make a new batch.
Makes 2 cups potpourri.