Here at AY About You, we want to partner with you to stay healthy.
So when word got out that the best way to ward off coronavirus and COVID-19 that causes the virus is hand washing, we figured that there are times you can’t get to soap and water. What to do? Buy hand sanitizer.
What if I told you that some places have an inventory of zero on the Purell aisle and online sources are price-gouging? AY to the rescue here. We did what any resourceful Googler would do, we Googled how to make our own.
Homemade Hand Sanitizer
Here’s what you need:
- 2/3 cup Isopropyl alcohol 91% (rubbing alcohol)
- 1/3 cup aloe vera gel
- Essential oil in your choice of fragrance (optional)
- A small or medium mixing bowl
- A spoon
- An empty container, such as a 3-ounce container from a travel toiletries kit
- In a mixing bowl, stir isopropyl alcohol and aloe vera gel together until well blended.
- Add 8-10 drops of scented essential oil. Stir to incorporate.
- Pour the homemade hand sanitizer into an empty container and seal.
- Here’s the important part: Label this as your “Hand Sanitizer” with a Sharpie you have lying around the house.
Remember, wash your hands to prevent illness, but if you don’t have soap and water, improvise. Happy improvising!