- The Little Rock Education Association (LREA) demonstrated outside the governor’s mansion in response to the Arkansas State Board of Education’s decision to derecognize the teachers’ union and strip the LREA’s negotiating power with the state.
- President Trump announces that a limited number of U.S. troops will remain in Syria to “secure the oil.”
- Exxon Mobil representatives take the stand in the second-ever U.S. climate change trial, accused of misleading investors and the general public about the effects of climate change and climate-friendly regulation.
Arts, Culture and Sports
- Washington Nationals win the first game of the 2019 World Series against the Houston Astros.
- The Arkansas Arts Center sets costs at $78.3 million for the renovation of their downtown headquarters and museum.
Today in History
- October 23, 4004 B.C. (Disputed): According to 17th Century Christian theologian James Ussher, the Earth is created, although his claims are disputed by mainstream Christianity.
- October 23, 1981: The U.S. National Debt hits $1 trillion for the first time.
- October 23, 2001: Apple releases the first iPod.