- Henderson State University’s board of trustees voted unanimously to merge with the Arkansas State University system.
- Pulaski County Sheriff’s Department has purchased in-vehicle and body cameras for all deputies, the Dept. plans to install their new equipment this November.
- Murray Energy, the largest privately-held coal mining operation in the United States, has filed for bankruptcy.
- House Rep. Katie Hill resigns in wake of revenge pornography scandal.
- California wildfires continue to blaze, officials fear a forecasted windstorm will blow it out of control, prompting large-scale evacuations of affected areas.
Arts, Culture & Sports
- The Little Rock Zoo’s 28th Boo at the Zoo kicks off, running every night until November 1. Find details on tickets and theme nights here.
- Last Saturday, the Arkansas State Red Wolves beat Texas State 38-14.
Today in History
- October 29, 1929: Black Tuesday, a massive Wall Street crash occurs, triggering the Great Depression.
- October 29, 1945: The first ball-point pen goes on sale in Gimbell’s department store for $12. Accounting for inflation, that pen would cost roughly $171 today.