Christmas Morning Breakfast Casserole
1 pound sausage (I use turkey sausage, and you can even use a meat substitute)
1 (8-ounce) can reduced-fat crescent roll dough
2 cups milk (I use unsweetened coconut milk)
2 cups shredded cheese of your choice
½ bell pepper, diced
1 cup fresh or defrosted frozen spinach
1 teaspoon black pepper
1. Heat oven to 375 degrees. Grease a 9×13 baking dish.
2. In a skillet, cook sausage until it breaks into crumbles; drain grease.
3. While sausage is cooking, unroll crescent roll dough into baking dish. Pinch seams together and spread out dough so it mostly covers the dish.
4. Whisk eggs, milk, veggies and black pepper in a bowl.
5. Sprinkle the sausage evenly into dish, then pour in egg mixture. Top with shredded cheese.
6. Bake uncovered for about 35-40 minutes. (You’ll know it’s ready when you stick a toothpick or knife into the middle and it comes out clean.)
7. Let stand for 5-10 minutes before cutting into squares. Refrigerate and reheat for an easy breakfast.