By Nic Williams
1 cup Italian breadcrumbs
1 TB. Italian seasoning
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 TB. milk
12 sticks of mozzarella cheese, wrappers removed
1 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons sea salt
Marinara sauce (optional)
1. Mix the breadcrumbs and Italian seasoning together on a rimmed plate. Pour the flour on a second rimmed plate. Whisk the eggs and milk together and pour the mixture into a wide, shallow bowl.
2. Dredge each piece of cheese in the flour, completely submerge it into the egg mixture, and then roll it in the breadcrumbs. Make sure the cheese is completely drenched in the egg mixture or the breadcrumbs won’t stick.
3. Put the mozzarella sticks on a sheet pan and into the freezer for 45 minutes to one hour. Do not freeze them longer or the cheese will be cold when the outside is finished.
4. Remove the mozzarella sticks from the freezer and begin heating the vegetable oil in a large pan over medium heat until the oil shimmers.
5. Using tongs, carefully place the mozzarella sticks in the pan. Turn the mozzarella sticks every 15 seconds until golden brown, and remove them to a plate lined with paper towels. You may need to do these in batches, depending on the size of the pan. Sprinkle with sea salt and serve immediately with marinara sauce.