Recipe: Gourmet Almond Butter Dog Biscuits
Treats don’t have to be expensive, but to be gourmet, they should be made with simple, high-quality ingredients. These almond butter biscuits require only simple ingredients and come together in less than an hour! Be sure to ask your veterinarian before giving your pet a new treat to make sure they’re safe for your furry friend.
1 cup whole wheat flour
½ cup plain oats, old-fashioned or quick-cooking (not instant)
¼ cup dry milk powder, non-fat
½ cup plain creamy almond butter, salt-free and sugar/xylitol-free
1. Heat oven to 300 degrees and line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper.
2. Whisk together the flour, oats, and milk powder in a large mixing bowl.
3. Using a rubber spatula or a stand-mixer, beat the egg and almond butter into the flour mixture until crumbles form. Add ¼ cup cold water and beat until the dough comes together. You may need to add a little more water if the dough is still dry and crumbly.
4. Roll out the dough to ¼-inch thick and cut out biscuits with a cookie cutter or the rim of a cup.
5. Transfer the biscuits to the cookie sheet and bake for 45-60 minutes until firm and crisp. Use a paper towel to blot away residual oil, if any, and set aside to cool.