Recipe: M&M Ice Cream Sandwiches
When our temps get anything over 90 degrees, I only want to eat ice cream. These sandwiches are the perfect answer to when you want a sweet, chewy and (bonus) portable cold dessert. Plus, you can make them ahead and have a dozen waiting in the freezer for whenever the craving strikes!
M&M Ice Cream Sandwiches Recipe
10 tablespoons unsalted butter (1 stick plus 2 tablespoons)
1 cup packed dark brown sugar
¼ cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 ¾ cup all-purpose flour
1 cup mini M&M candy pieces
1 quart vanilla ice cream
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Using a large bowl and a hand mixer, combine butter and both sugars. Mix on medium speed until fully combined and mixture is light and fluffy.
- Add salt, baking soda, vanilla and egg, mix until fully combined.
- Add in flour and continue mixing until no lumps are visible. Mixture might appear slightly dry (that’s OK). Add mini M&Ms and fold in.
- Scoop dough out into 2 tablespoon-sized scoops (should make 24-30 cookies).
- Place on parchment-lined baking sheets and bake for 10 minutes (cookies will be very soft; this is important so they will remain soft when frozen).
- While cookies are baking, scoop out ¼ cup portions of ice cream and place on a baking sheet or plate. Place back into the freezer while the cookies cool.
- Carefully assemble sandwiches. If the soft cookies bend or break, place them in the freezer for 10-15 minutes until firm.
- Store ice cream sandwiches in the freezer in an airtight container for up to one month.
Kelli Marks is a self-taught cake decorator turned pastry chef, specializing in wedding cakes. Her interest in baking began early under the tutelage of her grandmother. Her desserts have been featured in numerous local, national and global publications. Easy One-Bowl Baking: No-Fuss Recipes for Sweet and Savory Baked Goods is her first cookbook. Find her on Instagram @sweetlovebakes.
READ MORE: Recipe: Almond French Toast