I looked at the calendar. It says it’s fall. I looked outside. I see rain. So I combined the two components to bring you SOUP! This soup is perfect for fall.
Sure, it might be 80 one day this week, but at least you’ll have this saved on your phone if you want to have soup. Some crusty French bread would be perfect, and I think it’s time for red wine (I don’t like red in the summer. Call me weird.)
Cozy Autumn Wild Rice Soup
- 6 cups vegetable stock (or chicken stock)
- 1 cup uncooked wild rice
- 8 ounces baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 2 ribs celery, diced
- 1 large (about 1 pound) sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 1 small white onion, peeled and diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1/2 tablespoon Old Bay seasoning
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 2 large handfuls of kale, roughly chopped with thick stems removed
- Kosher salt and freshly-cracked black pepper
- Heat (an extra) 1 tablespoon butter in a large stockpot over medium-high heat. Add onion and sauté for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until soft and translucent. Stir in the garlic and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes, stirring occasionally, until fragrant.
- Add in the vegetable stock, wild rice, mushrooms, carrots, celery, sweet potato, bay leaf and Old Bay seasoning. Stir to combine.
- Continue cooking until the soup reaches a simmer. Then reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer for 45 minutes, or until the rice is tender, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, during those final 10 minutes, prepare your cream sauce in a separate saucepan on the stove. In it, cook the butter over medium-high heat until melted. Whisk in the flour until combined, and cook for 1 minute. Gradually add in the milk, and whisk until combined. Continue cooking, stirring frequently, until the mixture nearly comes to a simmer and has thickened. (It should be very thick.)
- Add the cream sauce and kale to the soup, and stir gently until combined. Taste and season with salt and pepper (plus any extra Old Bay seasoning, if you would like) as needed.
- Serve warm. Or transfer to sealed container(s) and refrigerate for up to 4 days.