I have a couple of kids who are crazy about Chipotle. And I found this recipe that they think tastes just like the barbacoa beef that is served there. I prepared this on Friday night, and we pretended it was Chipotle. My kids say it was even better! Try it and let me know what you think!
Chipotle-esque Barbacoa Beef
- 4 lbs. beef brisket (beef chuck roast will also work)
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 3 – 4 chipotle chilis in adobo
- 1¼ cups beef broth
- 4 tsp. minced garlic
- 1½ Tbsp. ground cumin
- 1 Tbsp. dried oregano
- ¾ tsp. salt, then more to taste
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp. ground cloves
- ¼ cup fresh lime juice
- Cut the beef into large cubes. In a large skillet over medium high heat, add the vegetable oil and sear the beef on each side. Transfer to an oven set at 225 degrees or a slow cooker.
- In a food processor, add adobo chilis, beef broth, garlic, cumin, oregano, salt, pepper, cloves and lime juice. Pulse until blended and pour on top of the meat.
- Cook on low for 8-9 hours at that temperature in the oven or in your slow cooker. Shred the meat with two forks and turn on warm.
- Then act like you’re Chipotle. Layer in a tortilla and ask your diners, “Refried or black beans?” Then add black beans despite what they say because I know better and black beans are better. Add cilantro lime rice, grilled corn, guacamole, salsa, shredded cheese and sour cream.