- 2 (15.25 oz) boxes white cake mix
- 16 oz. sour cream
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 6 eggs
- 15 oz. Coco Lopez cream of coconut
- 16 oz. cream cheese
- 4 tablespoons whole milk
- 2 pounds powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 bags fresh frozen coconut (about 24 oz.)
- Heat oven to 350°F
- Mix cake mix, sour cream, vegetable oil, eggs, and cream of coconut in a large bowl.
- Divide cake batter into evenly between 3 9” pans that have been greased and floured. Each pan should be filled to slightly higher than 1/2 to ensure that the cake does not overflow as it bakes. You may have extra batter. Eat that for breakfast tomorrow. I insist.
- Bake approximately 30 minutes at 350°F or until you can put a toothpick in the center and it comes out clean.
- Cool completely.
- Whisk powdered sugar and cream cheese together in the bowl of your mixer.
- Add vanilla and keep whisking. Add milk as needed to reach a spreadable texture (this may not take all of the milk).
- Place 1 9 inch round cake on a cake board (this will make it easier to move cake to the freezer. If you are not freezing it you can skip this step). Frost the top of the layer and place the next cake round on top. Frost the top of that round and place the final round on top.
- Frost the top and sides of the cake.
- Press coconut into sides and onto top of cake.
- Once cake is frosted wrap it in plastic wrap and then aluminum foil and place in the freezer. Take it out to thaw at least four hours before you are ready to serve.
Adapted from www.homemadeinterest.com