Before the arctic tundra arrives tomorrow, I thought I would throw one last thing on the grill for good measure. It’s delicious marinated chicken, and then I built these low carb chicken souvlaki bowls. Souvlaki is often meat on skewers, but I didn’t have any so I just grilled it and placed it in a bowl. Oh my word. This is so good.. Again, it was so good. Have I said that already?
No carb November, start your engines! (Of course by the end of the month, we will all be carb-loading.)
Low Carb Chicken Souvlaki Bowls
To marinate the chicken:
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1 1/4-inch cubes
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice about 2 large lemons
- 2 T. red wine vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp. fresh chopped oregano
- 1/2 tsp. fresh thyme
- 1/2 tsp. fresh dill
- 1/2 tsp. ground coriander
- salt and black pepper to taste
For the bowls:
- 2 sweet bell peppers – red, orange or green
- 3 medium zucchini sliced into 1/4″ rounds
- 1/2 c. cherry tomatoes halved
- 1/2 c. sun-dried tomatoes
- 1/3 c. Kalamata and green olives
- 1/3 c. feta cheese crumbled optional
For tzatziki sauce:
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 English cucumber with peel grated
- 1 clove garlic pressed
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh basil parsley and/or dill
- Lemon wedges
- Add marinade ingredients to a large zip-top bag and add chicken. Seal bag and using your hands, press down on the chicken to distribute marinade evenly. Refrigerate for 45 minutes to 2 hours.
- Thread the chicken onto metal or pre-soaked wooden skewers (about 30 minutes in water) (THIS STEP IS OPTIONAL. I DIDN’T PUT IT ON SKEWERS).
- Brush the grates with olive oil then place the skewers over top. Grill the chicken for 3-4 minutes per side, gently flipping and cook for another 3-4 minutes, until chicken is cooked through and has light char marks.
- While the chicken is grilling, toss the zucchini, bell peppers and tomatoes onto the grill and cook for about 3-4 minutes on each side, or until desired doneness.
- If you want to put this over basmati rice, it would be delicious. (I was lazy and didn’t.)
- Top with grilled vegetables, olives and chicken (if you kept it on skewers, great. If not, put it on top of the veggies).
- Sprinkle with feta cheese and serve with optional toppings as desired.
OPTIONAL: To make the tzatziki sauce:
- Combine all the ingredients by hand or a blender (if you want it smooth). Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
If you don’t have a grill, you can also use a grill pan to cook everything on the stove.
Adapted from www.lifemadesweeter.com