It’s not only soup season, but it’s definitely bean season! A pot of simmering beans with delicious cornbread (I prefer mine sweet. Don’t @ me) is how we should spend every rainy Sunday like we had yesterday. The key is letting the beans cook s l o w l y. So give it time, and you’’ll be so glad you did.
Crockpot Pinto Beans
by Kim Opper (recipe and photos)
• 1 lb of dried pinto beans, rinsed and sorted for debris
• ham hock
• 32 oz. of vegetable broth (plus enough water to cover the beans)
• 8 oz. can of tomato sauce
• 1 sweet onion, diced
• 1 Tablespoon of garlic, minced (more or less to taste)
• 1 teaspoon of kosher salt (more or less to taste)
• 1 Tablespoon of brown sugar
• ½ teaspoon of dried mustard
• 1 dried bay leaf (remove before serving)
• Pepper to taste
Combine all ingredients in your Crockpot and cook on low for 6-8 hours, or until the beans are tender but not mushy.