The calendar just made a leap to February (hello, leap year with your 29 days), but it’s still soup season. Am I right?
I love a hearty soup that combines all the things: noodles, protein and cheese. This is perfect with crusty bread, a glass of pinot noir and a delicious salad.
Photo and recipe from former AY Intriguing Woman Ashley Mosley.
Adapted from www.cookingclassy.com
- 2 TB. olive oil, divided
- 1 lb. ground beef or Italian sausage (or combo of both)
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 5 garlic cloves, chopped or minced
- 4 cups chicken broth or chicken bone broth
- 1 (14.5 oz.) cans petite diced tomatoes
- 1 (14.5 oz.) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 ½ TB. tomato paste
- ½ cup chopped of fresh chopped basil and oregano (or dried if you can’t find fresh spices)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 ¼ cups (which is 5 oz.) mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup finely shredded Parmesan cheese
- 8 oz. ricotta cheese
- 8 oz. lasagna noodles
- Fresh parsley
- Heat 1 TB. olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat.
- Once hot, crumble beef into pot, season with salt and pepper to taste and cook, stirring occasionally until browned.
- Drain fat from beef and set beef aside.
- Heat remaining olive oil in pot, add onion and garlic and saute until it begins to soften, about 3 minutes.
- Pour in broth, diced tomatoes, crushed tomatoes, tomato paste and herbs.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover and simmer 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile cook pasta according to package instructions.
- In a mixing bowl, using a fork, stir together mozzarella and ricotta.
- Add cooked pasta to soup and thin soup with a little more broth if desired.
- Stir cheeses together, then serve soup with dollops of cheese.