Have you ever wondered how the tasty green salsa is made when you go to your favorite Mexican restaurant? The trick is roasting the tomatillos but dang, this is good even if you cook them stovetop.
And this is gonna sound crazy, but fry your own corn tortilla chips. Buy corn tortillas, cut them in triangles and then fry them in hot oil. You’ll thank us later.
- 1 1/2 lb tomatillos
- 1/2 cup chopped white onion
- 2 cloves (or more) garlic (optional)
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves
- 1 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 2 Jalapeño peppers OR 2 serrano peppers, stemmed, seeded and chopped (you can use whole for more heat if you want)
- Salt to taste
- Remove papery husks from tomatillos and rinse well
- Oven Roasting Method: Cut the tomatillos in half and place cut side down on a foil-lined baking sheet. Add a few garlic cloves in their skin (if using) Place under a broiler for about 5-7 minutes to lightly blacken the skins of the tomatillos.
- Pulse in blender: Place the cooked tomatillos, lime juice, onions, garlic (if using), cilantro, chili peppers in a blender or food processor and pulse until all ingredients are finely chopped and mixed.
- Cool and put in refrigerator.
Adapted from www.simplyrecipes.com