We are celebrating Christmas morning at AY Magazine. That’s because the latest issue of our award-winning magazine is on newsstands, and I have a colorful feature about what to serve Christmas morning thanks to our friends at the Junior League of Little Rock. I included granola, a smoothie with Prosecco (I clearly care about you people) and a strata. But what I didn’t include was something with eggs. So here is your bonus recipe and you can make this as spicy as you want. I adapted the recipe as how I prepare it for my family.
from Junior League of Little Rock’s Apron Strings
- 2 tablespoons. sour cream
- 12 eggs
- ½ large jar of salsa
- 1 pound of sausage
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 8 ounces Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- 8 ounces Cheddar cheese, shredded
- Bunch of cilantro, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Combine the sour cream and the eggs in a mixer bowl and beat well. Pour into a greased 9×13 baking dish.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until set. Pour the salsa over the eggs and cool.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 300 degrees.
- Brown the sausage in a skillet, stirring until crumbly and drain. Layer the sausage, onion and mushrooms over the salsa. Stir in the cilantro. Top with the (holy) cheeses.
- Bake another 30 minutes. Serve warm or cool. But I would add some flour tortillas to warm in the skillet or microwave just because.
- Garnish with tomato slices and green bell pepper.