To say people have an obsession with Arkansas tomatoes right now is an understatement.
You can find them at side-of-the-road fruit stands to local grocery stores. The Little Rock Farmers Market opened back up Saturday in the River Market, and they were plentiful. The moral to this story is TO BUY SOME.
Last week, we posted a recipe for salsa. This week, it’s tomato pie.
Don’t turn your nose up at me, mister. You haven’t lived until you have had a tomato pie.
Adapted from www.foodnetwork.com
- 4 Arkansas tomatoes, peeled and sliced
- 10 fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped green onion
- 1 (9-inch) prebaked deep dish pie shell
- 1 cup grated mozzarella
- 1 cup grated cheddar
- ⅓ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- Salt and pepper
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place the tomatoes in a colander in the sink in one layer. Sprinkle with salt and allow to drain for 10 minutes.
- Layer the tomato slices, basil, and onion in pie shell. Season with salt and pepper. Combine the grated cheeses and mayonnaise together. Spread mixture on top of the tomatoes and bake for 30 minutes or until lightly browned.
- To serve, cut into slices and serve warm.