This is a farmer’s market find that was deep fried in oil. How could that NOT be good?
This recipe is from Kitchen Affairs in Evansville, Ind., which sells cookware and provides great recipes like this.
YaYa Eggplant Fries
1 large eggplant
4 cups canola oil
Flour for dredging
1 cup buttermilk
3 medium eggs
2 cups dry unseasoned bread crumbs
½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Cut the eggplant into fingers about ½-inch square by 3-4 inches long.
- Combine the eggs and buttermilk in a bowl and beat well.
- Heat the oil to 340 degrees to 350 degrees.
- Dredge the fingers in the flour then in the buttermilk/egg mixture. Lay them in the bread crumbs and coat them on all sides with the crumbs. Fry in the hot oil until browned. Transfer them to a paper towel to drain and dry.
- Put ½ cup of confectioner’s sugar into a small bowl. Add enough Tabasco sauce to make a thick slurry, adding a little water if you prefer a milder sauce. The sauce should be a little thinner than sour cream.
- To serve, divide the fingers among four appetizer plates and sprinkle them generously with confectioner’s sugar. Serve them warm or at room temperature accompanied by small bowls of the dipping sauce.