- 1 Pumpkin, roasted (instructions below)
- 1 Sprig of Rosemary
- 1 dash Kosher salt
- 1/2 stick unsalted butter
- 1 Cardamom, clove, nutmeg, ginger, cinnamon, grated for spice mixture
- 1 tablespoon Brown sugar
- 2 to 3 threads of saffron, soaked in water
- 2 Egg whites
- 1 cup whole pecans
- Yeast packet, bloomed with 3/4 warm water and pinch of sugar
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin butter (roasted pumpkin and butter)
- 1/4 cup cup chai tea
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/2 stick of butter, softened
- 1 pound cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 teaspoons heavy cream
- 1 dash chai spice
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- Prepare pumpkin by cutting in half, scooping out the inside, and rubbing the flesh with oil. Sprinkle with kosher salt and place on a lightly oiled pan. For extra flavor, add a sprig of rosemary under the pumpkin. Place in oven and bake at 375 for 15 – 20 minutes, or until soft enough to pierce with knife. Once done, scoop out the soft flesh, puree with a half stick of unsalted butter, a sprinkle of salt and set aside.
- Spread grated ginger, cardamom, clove and nutmeg on a pan and place in over with pumpkin for 3 minutes.
- Prepare saffron by covering with warm water and allowing to sit. Whip 2 egg whites until frothy. Grind your toasted spices and fold into egg whites with saffron. Add pecans,1 tbsp of your spice mixture, 1 tbsp of brown sugar and a pinch of cinnamon. Mix well and spread evenly onto baking sheet. Cook with pumpkin for about 15 minutes, flip them over, and cook for another 15.
- Add hot water, yeast and granulated sugar to mixer bowl. Set aside and allow to rise for 10 minutes. Once it’s risen enough, add flour and start mixer. Add in 1/2 your pumpkin puree, 1/4 cup chai tea and a sprinkle of salt. Once it comes together, hand knead into a ball, cover in oil, and cover with plastic wrap.
- For frosting, add 2 oz butter, 1 lb cream cheese, vanilla and heavy cream to mixer and stir well. Add spice mix to taste and a pinch of salt.
- Chop pecans coarsely. Roll out dough on a flat, floured surface until it’s about 1/4 inch thick. Form into rectangular shape. Spread pumpkin butter on your dough, sprinkle with brown sugar and cinnamon. Add remaining pecans and carefully roll the dough into a log, pinching the ends to keep tight. Slice to preferred thickness (1.5 to 2 inches wide) and place in cast iron pan. Cover and let set for 10 min.
- Pre bake rolls for 10 – 15 minutes. Remove and add butter on top of each roll. Spread your topping and garnish with remaining pecans. Place back into oven for a minute to melt, remove, add more frosting and serve.