Inspired by Julia Child’s recipe for Gratin Dauphinois
By Nic Williams
Recipe: Sage & Cheddar Au Gratin Potatoes
2 tablespoons fresh sage, minced
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1 ½ cups heavy cream
2 ½ pounds potatoes, peeled and sliced 1/8-inch thick
2 ½ cups good cheddar cheese (such as Cabot brand), finely grated
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Combine sage, garlic, salt and pepper in a small bowl, set aside.
3. Whisk butter and heavy cream together just until combined, set aside.
4. Using a 9×13-inch casserole dish, layer ingredients in the following order: 1/3 of the potatoes, 1/3 of the cream mixture, 1/3 of the sage mixture and 1/3 of the cheese. Be sure to follow this order and repeat for the second and third layers.
5. Cover with foil and bake for 90 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender when pierced with a fork.
6. Allow dish to cool for at least 5 minutes before serving.