New Orleans Style Soaked Salad
Adapted from www.food.com
Iceberg lettuce, chopped fine
- 2 large ripe tomatoes, cut into chunks
- Banana peppers, pepperoncinis and green olives, sliced
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon black pepper
- Wash the lettuce well, spin it in a salad spinner and then lay out on a clean kitchen towel to dry.
Mix all the dressing ingredients in a bowl and whisk briskly at least 1 minute. If using fresh basil, toss with the lettuce.
- Toss the lettuce with the tomatoes and the shredded basil if using fresh. Pour salad dressing over and toss thoroughly. I add pickled products to my salad because we like the vinegar taste of things and some crunch. So I have mild banana peppers, pepperoncini peppers and green olives.
- To serve, toss the salad again.