You people are going to hate me. But I just saw that these spring-like temperatures will be dropping to frigid temps on Thursday night and Friday. Which means soup weather isn’t over.
I think you likely have a good soup recipe, but I have the perfect cornbread. And I mean PER. FECT. It’s a sweet one, so if you like savory, move on along. If you like dessert, then you’ll love this one.
Sweet Mexican Cornbread
Adapted from www.allrecipes.com
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup white sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 (15 oz.) can cream-style corn
- 1 (4 oz.) can chopped green chile peppers, drained
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese with jalapeno peppers
- 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Lightly grease a 9×13 inch baking dish.
- In a large bowl, beat together butter and sugar. Beat in eggs one at a time. Blend in cream corn, chiles, Monterey Jack and cheddar cheese.
- In a separate bowl, stir together flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt. Add flour mixture to corn mixture; stir until smooth. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake in preheated oven for 1 hour, until a toothpick inserted into center of the pan comes out clean.