Recipe: The Umami Burger
Sometimes you just want a thick, juicy cheeseburger packed full of flavor. Now you can have one to satisfy your cravings no matter the time. This burger is loaded with umami, our fifth taste behind sweet, salty, bitter and sour. Umami is best described as a savory and hearty flavor, and this burger is packed with umami in every bite.
Hamburger patty recipe adapted from www.aspicyperspective.com
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
½ pound mushrooms, stems removed and sliced
2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
2 yellow onions, halved and sliced
2 ½ teaspoons kosher salt, divided
2 pounds ground beef (80/20)
½ cup panko breadcrumbs
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon black pepper
12 slices colby jack cheese (or any cheese you love)
6 hamburger buns (good quality)
8 ounces Japanese yum yum sauce (available at most grocery stores)
1. In a large skillet, add butter and mushrooms, sautéing over medium heat until cooked through, about 6-8 minutes. Remove and set aside.
2. Wipe out skillet, and add 1 tablespoon olive oil, onions and salt. Toss onions so they are evenly coated in oil. Stir onions — making sure to scrape sides and bottom of pan — only every 4-5 minutes for 25-30 minutes. When brown, soft and slightly sweet, set aside.
3. While onions caramelize, add ground beef, breadcrumbs, Worcestershire sauce, egg, milk, salt, garlic powder and pepper to a large mixing bowl. Using clean hands or a wooden spoon, mix together until ingredients are evenly distributed throughout meat. Evenly divide meat and form into six patties, making sure to not densely pack the meat.
4. In a large skillet over medium heat, add 1 tablespoon olive oil and heat until shimmering. Working in batches, add patties and cook for 4 minutes. Flip patties, add two slices of cheese to each, and cover with a lid. Cook for another 3-4 minutes.
5. Remove patties to buns. Add mushrooms, onions and about 2 tablespoons of yum yum sauce to each burger. Serve warm.
READ MORE: Recipe: Strawberry Shortbread Bars