Taco Tuesday: Apple Pie Tacos Recipe
We don’t need cool weather to start celebrating fall and the delicious flavors that blow in with it. Cinnamon is the seasoning of the season, just ask any mom or grandmother breaking out the “fall” scented candles.
Bringing back the sweet tacos, this week’s Taco Tuesday is a recipe for apple pie dessert tacos. Get your mouth ready for cinnamon-coated tortillas and the soulful taste of apple pie filling. Much like garlic, you can never have enough cinnamon in a recipe, so have fun with it.
Apple Pie Tacos Recipe
Adapted/courtesy: Kitchen Fun With My Three Sons
Ingredients for Shells
- 5 to 8 flour tortillas
- 2 1/4 tablespoons cinnamon
- ½ cup sugar
Ingredients for Filling
- 16 ounces cream cheese softened
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 ½ cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 21-ounce can apple pie filling
- Place the can of apple pie filling in the fridge to chill. Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- For the shells, cut the tortillas into smaller circles using a round cookie-cutter. Combine the sugar and cinnamon in a bowl. Melt the butter, around ½ a cup, in a separate bowl.
- Coat each side of the tortillas with the butter and then dip them into the cinnamon and sugar mixture. Like we discussed earlier, there can never be enough cinnamon, so cover the tortillas heavily with the cinnamon and sugar.
- Turn a muffin pan upside down and place the tortillas between the muffin cups in a taco shape.
- Bake for 10 minutes and let cool on the muffin tin.
- While the shells cool, mix the cream cheese in a stand mixer or hand-held until it is light and fluffy.
- Add the heavy cream and vanilla, and mix well until all ingredients are blended.
- Little by little, add the powdered sugar, mixing between each addition.
- Use a spatula to mix the concoction by hand, and then use the mixer on medium speed to blend the ingredients until smooth and thick.
- Place the mixture in the fridge to cool for one hour.
- Once cooked, place the cheesecake mix in a piping bag (or ziplock back with the corner snipped off). Check the shells to make sure they are also cool to the touch.
- Pipe the cheesecake filling into each shell to your liking, and add a dollop — or however much you like — of the chilled apple pie filling to the top.
- Sprinkle with the remaining cinnamon and enjoy.