Need something quick, healthy and easy to make for breakfast? Quinoa egg white muffin bites are a great option that you can freeze or refrigerate for later.
We all know that quinoa is pretty bland by itself, so adding spices and vegetables is crucial to get some flavor.
I usually dice up about half of a red pepper, but you can always use more for a little more protein and flavor. You can use fresh or frozen spinach. I use frozen, and I make sure to thaw and dry it off so that it doesn’t make the mixture too watery.
I haven’t tried these with meat, but it would probably be best to avoid something like greasy sausage. I have seen other recipes that include ham or other vegetables like onion, zucchini, or mushrooms.
These are great plain, but can also be great with a little salsa or hot sauce! Don’t be afraid to play around with the recipe by adding more or less of the ingredients to find the perfect flavor for you! I will add…don’t overdo it on the garlic…you’ll regret it! Also, if you have trouble getting your quinoa nice and fluffy, I found some helpful hints here.
If you want to make more or less than 12, adjust the recipe accordingly and most importantly, enjoy!
Quinoa Egg White Spinach and Red Pepper Muffins
- 4 egg whites
- 2 cups quinoa, warmed
- ½ teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ½ red pepper, diced
- ½ cup shredded cheese
- ⅓ cup spinach
- Spray muffin tin with cooking spray and preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine warm quinoa with cheese, egg whites, spices, red pepper and spinach. Stir.
- Using a spoon, fill muffin tins to the top.
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until very lightly browned.
- Let cool for about 10 minutes, then use a knife or spoon to loosen and pop out the muffins.