A city found in the scenic foothills of the Ouachita Mountains, Arkadelphia, Arkansas serves as home for over 10,000 Arkansans, in addition to over 5,000 residential students of Ouachita Baptist and Henderson State Universities.
The community, located in southwest Arkansas, has a prime centralized location in the state, offering a less than two-hour drive to major cities such as Hot Springs, Little Rock, Conway, and El Dorado. However, visitors and residents of Arkadelphia do not have to leave to find entertainment and good times; the city is not lacking in things to do.
Here is a list of the top 10 things to do in Arkadelphia, Arkansas, including, but not limited to, the arts, sports, and food.
- Visit DeGray Lake.
- Just eight miles out of the city limits, DeGray Lake offers every outdoor dream: from DeGray State Park Golf Course’s scenic 18-hole game to party barge rentals at DeGray Lake Marina.
- Attend an event at Ouachita Baptist or Henderson State.
- Both universities have served as pillars of Arkadelphia since the late 1800s, offering community involvement through musical events such as Ouachita’s annual Tiger Tunes in the fall or Henderson’s Greek life step show. In addition, these two universities are home to the NCAA Division II “oldest rivalry football game,” the Battle of the Ravine, which is played every November.
- Walk the Desoto Bluff Trail.
- Located in between the universities, the trail ends at a lookout point of the Ouachita River, offering picnic tables, rocking chairs, campfire sites, and a pavilion for entertaining.
- Jog Feaster Trail.
- Running through both university campuses and quiet Arkadelphia neighborhoods, the trail totals just over four miles of exercise.
- Cheer on local sporting events.
- Home to the OBU Tigers, HSU Reddies, and Arkadelphia Badgers, there is never a shortage of athletic events to support.
- Shop in historic downtown.
- Recently revamped by the Arkadelphia Chamber of Commerce, Arkadelphia’s downtown is home to gift shopping at shops such as Shuffield Music Company, KelZek Fine Jewelry and Gifts, The Farmhouse, and Mary and Martha’s Florist and Gifts.
- Spend a summer day at the Arkadelphia Aquatic Park.
- Located in the center of town, the Arkadelphia aquatic park offers all the necessities to a perfect sunny day: candy in the concession stand, splash zones for the kids, and slides in the deep end.
- Venture on a home-cooking food tour.
- Arkadelphia is home to plenty of mom-and-pop restaurants, including beach-themed Slim and Shorty’s downtown, a retro 67 Grill on Main Street, and burgers and barbeque at Fat Boy’s.
- Find an antique at Caddo Valley Flea Market.
- Set up on the banks of the Caddo River, this flea market is prime breeding ground for vintage furniture, clothing, and books.
- And if you just can’t bring yourself to leave, stay for a weekend getaway.
- From DeGray Lake’s Iron Mountain Lodge to Henderson State’s Captain Henderson House Bed and Breakfast, the lodging in Arkadelphia proves to be quaint and full of activity.