The Benton community has had its sights set on a hustling and bustling downtown for years, and it might just be in reach with how steadily the area has grown recently. Big plans are in the making for the community to continue flourishing and establishing the perfect atmosphere for families, young people and older residents alike.
Taking a moment to appreciate the local eateries throughout Benton that have assisted in this growth, here are a few favorites listed in no particular order:
- Valhalla Restaurant & Axe Throwing: You read that right. A restaurant and axe throwing lanes all in one place. Lord knows we all have some pent-up anger at COVID-19, so why not put it into chunking an axe at a solid wooden target and finishing off with a “Thorpreme” pizza like the thunder god that you are? The Old Palace Theatre in downtown Benton is the perfect setting for this Norse-themed establishment. Read the story of Valhalla and its mission in Benton on their website.
- Baja Grill: Mexi-Cali and a margarita bar? Yes please! One of Benton’s newest additions to the downtown district and Valhalla’s neighbor, Baja Grill is the perfect place to spend Taco Tuesday and Wine Wednesday ($2 off by the glass) with the girls. Located in The Palace, Baja is your new trendy hub that caters to all with gluten-free options and a booze-free cocktail selection. Check out their website for contest updates!
- The Main St. Station: Variety is no issue at the food truck central in downtown, the Main St. Station. Constant favorites include Po Boys – Po Boys, MaMa Mia Pizzeria, Rina’s Kitchen and Courtney’s Ziya Activewear Boutique if you’re looking to shop after eating! With the choice of New Orleans-style cuisine, pizza (sweet and savory) or Hibachi, there’s no question about whether you’ll be satisfied or not. The ambiance of the setting with outdoor seating and twinkling lights is the recipe for a perfect outing.
- Carmelita’s Mexican Restaurant: Tucked away off Military Road, this gem stands as a favorite for authentic Mexican food sold at great prices. Enjoy all the classics fresh from the kitchen: tacos, enchiladas, tamales and so many more that you need to taste to know how special they truly are. With staff praised for their smiles and food described as a “tastebud party,” Carmelita’s is the place to go if you’re looking for a new home.
- Breitweiser’s Meat Market: An unsuspecting Benton delicacy is the best way to sum up this landmark. Opened in 1976 by Hubbard Breitweiser and his son, Carl, this deli has withstood the years and transition to new owners. Fresh-cut meats, homemade BBQ sauce and sandwich meals are only a few of the many services Breitweiser’s offers. Visit their website to learn more about the meats cut and sold as well as their signature products.
- Verona Italian Restaurant: Everyone loves pasta, and boy does Verona bring on the pasta. If you’re ever driving through, stop at Verona’s right off I-30 for some homemade delicacies
- Burger Shack: The name speaks for itself. Enjoy some classic burgers in a friendly atmosphere!
- Salem Dairy Bar: A little bit of a drive out of Benton, this drive-in offers the BEST milkshakes in Saline County.