I will be honest… there are some things you need two of… cookies, glasses of wine, pieces of pizza… well, you get my point! But when it comes to your face, no one ever said two chins are better than one. A double chin can be the bane of your existence and it will quickly kill your selfie game. Thankfully, there is Kybella.
Kybella is a non-invasive, non-surgical treatment that destroys the fat under your chin. It is made from a substance that is naturally produced in our body to help absorb fat. What I love most about Kybella is that it is permanent! There is no routine maintenance required, unlike with Botox and dermal fillers. Once you have completed a full Kybella treatment (which usually takes two or three sessions), those fat cells are destroyed forever. They can’t re-create themselves.
Kybella is a quick, easy procedure that takes about 15 minutes and is done in the Little Rock Plastic Surgery office. Here are a few things to expect after your injection:
- Swelling and discomfort. You will start experiencing some swelling within a few minutes of your injection and it can last for up to a week. The worst of the swelling will be in the first two to three days. Swelling is good though! The inflammation is thought to help with the skin retraction process.
- Redness or bruising. You may experience some redness after your injection that lasts for a few hours to a day. Bruising is rare, but can happen.
- Numbness. Any numbness you may experience will resolve within a few days to a week.
- Nodules. You may feel small, lumpy or pea-like nodules. These are due to swelling and inflammation. I encourage my patients to gently massage them and they will go away.
- Sloshy or jelly feeling. I have a lot of patients tell me that their chin feels sloshy or like jelly. This feeling only lasts a day or two and goes away once your swelling start to decrease.
Ice, ice baby! The best thing you can do to after your injection is to apply ice to the area. The more you ice, the less swelling, inflammation, redness and bruising you will experience. Other than that, you have no restrictions. You can go back to work, run errands or do whatever you already had planned for the day.
Results aren’t immediate; it takes time to see them. Kybella is also not a “skin tightening” procedure. It helps to get rid of the fullness underneath your chin, which causes your skin to retract and improves the shape and contour of your jawline. Not everyone is a good candidate for Kybella. The appearance of your neck and jawline are multifactorial. Kybella addresses the fat only and does not address the bone, skin, muscles or glands of the neck and jawline. It is important to go to a board-certified physician who can evaluate you to see if Kybella is the best option for you!